WESTBOROUGH — The state has verified a different bald eagle has died because it ingested rodent poison — this time, it was an eaglet.

The younger chook was spotted in distress in an undisclosed community in Middlesex County. Just after staying admitted to the Tufts Wildlife Clinic at Cummings Veterinary Healthcare Middle at Tufts College in North Grafton, the eaglet died. A necropsy and toxicology outcomes show that next-era anticoagulant rodenticides, also known as SGARs, are to blame.

Bald eagles eat fish, other birds and little mammals like rabbits, mice and rats. When individuals use poison to get rid of undesirable pests, other animals, like the bald eagle, can be poisoned secondarily. 

“Not only raptors, but several other varieties of wildlife have been the victims of accidental rodenticide poisoning,” said Andrew Vitz, state ornithologist for Mass Fisheries and Wildlife in a assertion. “Secondary exposure to rodenticides has been documented in other animals these as foxes, bobcats and coyotes.”