WESTBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) — A second bald eagle has died in Massachusetts this year following ingesting a hugely harmful poison meant to get rid of rats, state wildlife officials mentioned.
The woman fledgling was located in distress on the floor in Middlesex County in late July and brought to the Tufts Wildlife Clinic in Grafton the place it died, the condition Division of Fisheries and Wildlife said in a assertion Wednesday.
Toxicology checks on a liver sample from the raptor verified the trigger of dying was deadly stages of what the agency explained as “second-era anticoagulant rodenticide.”
The poison kills by stopping blood from clotting generally, resulting in deadly interior bleeding. Wildlife can be poisoned both by ingesting poisoned bait directly, or by consuming prey that has consumed the bait.
An adult chook died of the very same induce in March. There are additional than 80 nesting bald eagle pairs in Massachusetts.
‘These are poisons’: Animal rights teams force for rodenticide rules soon after bald eagle death
Bald eagle dies just after ingesting poison, the first these report in Mass.
Offered an eagle’s searching range, it is unattainable to ascertain the precise source of the newest rodenticide poisoning, the agency said.
Extra than eagles are at risk, the state’s ornithologist mentioned.
“Not only raptors, but several other varieties of wildlife have been the victims of unintentional rodenticide poisoning,” Andrew Vitz mentioned. “Secondary publicity to rodenticides has been documented in other animals this kind of as foxes, bobcats, and coyotes.”
He warned that unsupervised canines and cats are also susceptible to unintended exposure.
Under federal law, the chemicals cannot be bought in outlets to normal homeowners and their sale has been limited to accredited expert pest regulate workers due to the fact 2011. Other rodenticides, named very first-technology anticoagulant rodenticides and non-anticoagulant rodenticides, are continue to accredited for household purchaser use less than particular situations.
Animal rights activists immediately after the loss of life of the bald eagle in March urged state lawmakers to regulate the poisons even extra strictly.
A invoice released by condition Rep. James Hawkins, D-Attleboro, has been referred to the Legislature’s Joint Committee on Surroundings, Natural Resources and Agriculture.